It was in the year 1845 and a parcel comprising two lots, part of 20 acres of a coffee plantation near Port of Spain owned by Dominique Dert, was sold to the Anglican Church. The year before, the Governor has sent to the Colonial Office a draft for the introduction of English Criminal Laws and Trial by Jury and the Ecclesiastical Ordinance was passed in the Nominated Legislature Council, so establishing the Church of England in Trinidad and so threatening secular rivalry. Spanish law in Trinidad, except for some procedural matters settled later in 1848, had been displaced effectively by the Ordinance which took effect on 10th October 1844.
Ground was broken and the Foundation stone laid for All Saints Chapel of Ease, in deference to the Cathedral Church in downtown, consecrated as a Cathedral after the reconstruction of the Anglican Church in 1818.
The location of the Chapel adjoining the Tranquillity Sugar Estate, then virtually abandoned because of the uncertain outcome of representations by local planters to the British Parliament for continuation of their monopoly of the home market, and because of the residual effects of the abolition of slavery by the British Parliament twelve years before, on the instigation of the Emancipation Movement.
West Port of Spain was part of a new development of the Town and ARIAPITA ESTATE, WOODBROOK ESTATE and NEWTOWN were included in this westward expansion, supported by the Board of the Town Council. The population of Trinidad, from a census conducted the previous year was 59,815 souls.
1846 came and ALL SAINTS CHAPEL of EASE was dedicated. A Church sited on the verge of the old Paradise Estate ‘Savannah’, renamed ‘Queen’ s Park’ on the suggestion of the incumbent Governor – 250 acres of grassland, a bequest since its acquisition by the Governor, from the Illustrious Cabildeo in 1825 ‘for the pasturage of cows and for the recreation of the townsfolk’. (read more)